Frailty and vitamin C
Frailty and vitamin C is part of the greater well-being for Christians series given at the Church of the Ascension, Hilton.
Can we prevent frailty?
1 Corinthians 3:16
- Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that his Spirit dwells in you?
- God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.
- We wrestle not against flesh and blood…
- … to keep Satan from gaining the advantage over us; for we are not ignorant of his designs.
Regaining your well-being, and preventing frailty syndrome, is an ongoing spiritual battle. It won't be easy.
I saw then in my dream that Christian went on his way, that is until he came to the bottom of the hill. There he saw, beside the way, three men fast asleep with chains attached to their heels. The name of one was Simple, another was Sloth, and the third Presumption.
Understanding the role of vitamin C in frailty really is simple, but if we are slothful in not making sure we have it daily, or presume that only others become frail, then we need to beware.
Chains of sloth
Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus
Chains have been torn asunder,
setting my spirit free,
Oh the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches.
No more shall there be an old man who does not see out his days.
What is frailty syndrome?
- Low grip strength
- Low energy
- Slowed walking speed
- Low physical activity
- Unintentional weight loss
Any three of these present means you have frailty syndrome.
Low grip strength
- Opening a bottle?
- Using scissors or gardening secateurs.
These are my wife's fingers. She has rheumatoid arthritis, but because of our commitment to an anti-inflammatory diet, she has no pain. But I have to open tight bottles. She uses secateurs daily, for fun and to strengthen her hands.
- Medical checkup. Anaemia?
Slowed walking speed
- Mark out 4.6m - about 5 paces.
- Can you walk it in 6-7 seconds?
Low physical activity
- Too busy?
- Computer potato?
- Sore ankle?
Unintentional weight loss
- 4.5kg in the last year.
- Microbiome - should you be having a probiotic like kefir?
- Vitamin C
- Folic acid (B9)
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin E
Vitamins were unknown in the 18th century when British captain Anson circumnavigated the world. Out of 1900 sailors, 1400 died, mostly of scurvy. Scottish doctor James Lind proposed they start eating limes.
- Tiredness, lethargy, malaise
- Weak ligaments and tendons (collagen)
- Gum disease
- Poor slipped disc healing
- Fragile blood vessels
- Collagen is the glue that holds our cells together.
- Vitamin C is vital in the synthesis of collagen.
- Weak ankles?
- Recurrent slipped disc?
- Sagging wrinkled skin?
1. Orthop J Sports Med 2018
How much vitamin C?
The required daily amount is about 90mg, but if deficient 500mg per day
- 1 grapefruit 70mg
- 1 orange 51mg
- 1 lime 20mg
- 1 lemon 31mg
- 1 cup red pepper 116mg
Simple drinks with vitamin C
- Hot water and lemon
- Fruit drink - orange, lemon, mango, mint…
- Citrus drink - orange, lime, grapefruit, naartje etc.
- Ginger and lemon, pepperdew
- Salad - lettuce, pepper, avo, lemon juice, olive oil.
Our newsletter is entitled "create a cyan zone" at your home, preserving both yourself, your family and friends, and Mother Earth for future generations. We promise not to spam you with daily emails promoting various products. You may get an occasional nudge to buy one of my books!
Here are the back issues.
- Bake your own sourdough bread
- Microplastics from our water
- Alternative types of water storage
- Wear your clothes out
- Comfort foods
- Create a bee-friendly environment
- Go to bed slightly hungry
- Keep bees
- Blue zone folk are religious
- Reduce plastic waste
- Family is important
- What can go in compost?
- Grow broad beans for longevity
- Harvest and store sunshine
- Blue zone exercise
- Harvest and store your rainwater
- Create a cyan zone at your home
Frailty and vitamin C
Frailty and vitamin C is all about caring for the temple.
Caring for the temple
- Vitamin C deficiency symptoms
- Efficacy of Vitamin C Supplementation on Collagen Synthesis and Oxidative Stress After Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Frailty syndrome. Web: https://www.bernard-preston.com/frailty-syndrome.html
» Frailty and vitamin C
you find this page interesting? How about forwarding it to a friend, or book and food junkie; or, better still, a Facebook or Twitter tick would help.
56 Groenekloof Rd,