by Al Lewis
(Pietermaritzburg, South Africa)
I make a tasty Hummus with basic ingredients. I find that the better quality the ingredients, the better the end result.
My secret is I make my own tahini (sesame paste) I presumed this would be difficult but in reality it's a cinch :
1. Place 2 cups of sesame seed on a baking tray and bake for 8mins (I usually turn the seeds 2-3 times to prevent burning). Bake until the seeds are slightly golden.
2. Blitz with 80ml of Olive oil in a blender until the paste is smooth in texture. Depending on the power of your blender this can take some time (2-3min).
That's the tahini done!
The Hummus itself:
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 cup water
chick peas 2/3 cup
salt 1/2 teaspoon
1 clove garlic, 10 cumin seeds
1. Crush the clove of garlic (simply with a knife with the skin still intact) and boil it with the cumin. We are only using the essence of these two ingredients so sieve out the seeds and the garlic, and keep the water.
2. Add the garlic-water to the other ingredients in a blender and blitz for a short time until the hummus is light and creamy. Add extra water if the hummus is dry.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Authentic Hummus Recipes.
Our newsletter is entitled "create a cyan zone" at your home, preserving both yourself, your family and friends, and Mother Earth for future generations. We promise not to spam you with daily emails promoting various products. You may get an occasional nudge to buy one of my books!
Here are the back issues.
- Create a bee-friendly environment
- Go to bed slightly hungry
- Keep bees
- Blue zone folk are religious
- Reduce plastic waste
- Family is important
- What can go in compost?
- Grow broad beans for longevity
- Harvest and store sunshine
- Blue zone exercise
- Harvest and store your rainwater
- Create a cyan zone at your home
you find this page interesting? How about forwarding it to a friend, or book and food junkie; or, better still, a Facebook or Twitter tick would help.
56 Groenekloof Rd,